As we approach the end of our third year in business, we’ve been doing a lot of looking at our processes and evaluating them for ways to improve. You know, boring business stuff. One conclusion we have reached is that we really needed to stop talking about streamlining our fragrance lineup, and actually get it done. We’ve known for some time that we really had Just Too Many scents, but we love them all so much (and keep finding new ones to love!) that we just kept putting it off, and off, and off. Oh, we’re too busy this month, let’s talk about it after Christmas. Oh, we’re tired from Christmas, let’s talk about it after we take a bit of a break.
Well, we’ve done it now. Finally.
So: We now have 20 “core” fragrances which we will (try to!) keep on hand at all times, and the rest of the scents will rotate in and out seasonally or just periodically, as Limited Editions. If you really, really love a scent which is now a Limited Edition not currently in stock, by all means, let us know! Input like that will help us decide what fragrances to make next, after all. Limited Edition scents will also be available year ’round for special order in lots of 15 bars or as 5 lb uncut logs.
The immediate effect of this is that all fragrances which will be Limited Editions from now on are 30% off online (soap for $3.95! Wow!), while we transition toward our new lineup. So head over to our Etsy shop and stock up on discounted soap!
What are the core scents, then, which will be available all the time? Here they are:
- Back in the Saddle: The rich, compelling aroma of leather dominates in this fragrance, with a bit of patchouli and frankincense to anchor it and just the tiniest hint of citrus at the top to keep it from being too heavy a scent. Absolutely perfect for the manly man!
- Black Tea: This smoky, sexy and sophisticated fragrance is reminiscent of roasted tea leaves with strong overtones of tobacco. With surprising top notes of Italian bergamot, Sicilian lemon, and Southern orange, the blend winds down with black tea Leaves, star jasmine, white cedarwood, amber crystal, and a rich musk.
- Blackberry Sage: Berries galore, with a subtle undertone of sage: A glorious combination!
- Cold Water: Fresh and cool, the delightful scent of Cold Water is the perfect men’s fragrance, and yet manages to be fantastic for women, too! Its complex notes are compelling but not overwhelming.
- Energy: A stimulating blend of citrus, including grapefruit, lemon and lime, with hints of fresh cucumber and jasmine, and a touch of pineapple, blackberry and champagne. Energy is an exciting mix that’s perfect for spring and summer.
- Eucalyptus Spearmint: The synergistic combination of revitalizing spearmint and clarifying eucalyptus provide an olfactory experience like no other. One of our favorite scents! Works well as a masculine fragrance, but is popular with both sexes.
- Grass Stain: This scent is fresh, clean and vibrant. It’s a single note fragrance smelling of … fresh cut grass! Remember your childhood, frolicking in the grass, rolling down grassy hills and playing on the swing set at the park? This is the fragrance to bring it all back. It’s crisp, sweet and green. You’ll love it!
- Kitchen Soap (SunSoap ONLY!): One unpleasant aspect of cooking is that one can end up coming into contact with garlic, onions, or other pungent aromas much more welcome for what they bring to the plate than for what they leave behind on the cook’s hands. Kitchen soap to the rescue! Peppermint, lemon, and lemongrass essential oils come together in this blend to create a crisp, clean effect. The finishing touch: Coffee grounds – coffee is fantastic at absorbing odors, and it provides a gentle exfoliative effect in this soap, as well. The perfect combination!
- Lavender: Simple and timeless, the fragrance of lavender essential oils is sure to bring a feeling of relaxation after even the most tiring of days.
- Linden Blossom: A unique floral blend which combines the musky notes of linden blossoms with citrusy overtones for a bright and bold effect. Not your grandmother’s floral!
- Nothin’ But Soap (SunSoap)/Unscented (other products): No scents, no colors – perfect for the fragrance-sensitive customer.
- Oatmeal, Milk & Honey: Straight from Grandma’s kitchen! Warm oatmeal flavored with creamy milk and honey. Delicious.
- Patchouli: Luxuriate in the deep, rich earthy musk of patchouli essential oil, beloved by generation after generation for its sensuality.
- Peppermint: One whiff and you’ll want to take a bite! This fragrance is every bit as cool and crisp as a stick of peppermint candy.
- Pomegranate & Black Currant: This blend has tart pomegranate notes, enlivened by citrus zest and intertwined with juicy black currant notes with just some light hints of soft florals and leafy greens to give the fragrance depth.
- Saffron & Honey: Sweet and spicy, almost like an exceptionally rich chai with a hint of musk. Incredible! Must be sniffed to be believed.
- Sandalwood: Woodsy and alluring, rich and inviting, sandalwood is a classic fragrance and sure to please.
- Vanilla Sugar: Sweet and rich, this dark vanilla fragrance is reminiscent of an Italian soda or a high-grade vanilla ice cream.
- Waste Not (SunSoap ONLY!): Colorful and random, the chunks studding this soap showcase the breadth of the variety of our soap line. Every bar is unique! The embedded pieces are made up of trimmings and off-cuts from various other soaps, and the embedding soap is itself fragranced with a different blend for each batch.
- White Tea & Ginger: This fragrance has a delightful warm and comforting smell. With top notes of bergamot, lemon peels and green daylilies, this fragrance is brought back to its roots with a base of ginger, nutmeg and warm musk. White floral notes, such as hyacinth, freesia and peony complete the mix. This fragrance is unique in many ways and it is difficult to pick out individual notes when you smell the soothing blend.
The full product and fragrance list, as always, is here.