…I mean, OK, fine, that news is two weeks old; it’s been 2016 for long enough that the shine has worn off the change, and we mostly remember to write the right year when filling out forms, right? (I did say mostly.) But I’m running a bit behind around here, and while I am [ONCE AGAIN] dusting off my longstanding intent to do some more blogging, it always takes me a few weeks after the holidays are over to remember which way is up. Which isn’t a complaint! If the holidays didn’t knock me tip over teakettle I’d know for sure I was doing something wrong around here. But still, it does lead to a slow restart for January.
2015 was a rough year, I won’t deny. Sales were down in many areas, expenses were up in all of them. Depression was a big theme. Also stress. Good things happened too, of course! But all in all, I’m not sorry to have seen the end of it, and am determined that 2016 will be better.
A few things have happened already this year: We’ve said goodbye to some old friends, product-wise, and new things are waiting in the wings to replace them as the weeks go by. We’ve started the beginning phases of a new facelift to our brand as a whole, and I’m really happy with how the concepts are starting to come together. I’ve even made the year’s first batches of soap! (It’s always a twitchy time, December, when I don’t have time to make soap and the creative bits just pile up in my head and yell at me for not letting them out.) But we have more and more plans ahead!
Here are a few of the things we intend to accomplish in 2016:
- Focus! 2015 (and to a lesser extent 2014) represented a time of aimless wandering, creatively and business-wise. It’s time to remember what we’re really best at (making spectacular artisan bath, body, and beauty products), and do more of that.
- See above re: brand facelift. It’s a bit awkward to realize I’ve been putting the wrong face on some of my products; trying to make them into something they’re not. But as we feel our way through this process, I can already tell things are going to be much, much better when it’s done.
- More blogging! Yes, I know I’ve said that before, and I meant it then, too. What can I say, except this time I’ll really truly try to get a post made at least once a week? Really! And if there’s something you’d like to hear more about – inside looks at things, whatever – let me know – I’m always looking for ideas.
- We attended our first and second SF fandom conventions in 2015, and are looking forward to doing more of that in 2016. We aren’t turning the whole brand into a fannish exercise (which I won’t bother to pretend I couldn’t do if I let myself), but a couple of our Firefly-themed soaps sold well enough in 2015 that they will be becoming part of our core product lineup, and there will be some additional products made available in those scents. And that’s in addition to anything specific we might make for special events! (There’s a Star Wars soap curing on the shelves right now, as a matter of fact.) So the nerd is coming out from behind the curtain just a teeny bit.
- Wholesale, wholesale, wholesale. Now, don’t get me wrong, I will always love selling product directly to customers myself. But I’d also love for more of you to be able to just nip out to a local store and pick up a bar when you’re running low! So if you’ve got an adorable little boutique, or a natural foods store, or other awesome spot in your neck of the woods, drop us a line and we’ll see if they like us as much as you do!
- Relatedly, we may be looking into an additional online marketplace or two. This is still up in the air, so no details yet – but we’ll let you know when we get something worked out!
- And as always, we’re going to spend all year getting better at making the things we make, so you can have even more Foamy awesomeness in your shower than ever before.
Whew! That’s a longer list than I really intended it to be, but that’s OK. They’re more like guidelines than actual rules anyway, right? Right.